I absolutely LOVE the New Year and all that comes with it: new journal filled with blank pages, new planner ready to be filled, new pens and markers, and new empty, fresh files. It’s like preparing for back to school all over again. Organizing, planning, and designing makes me heart happy! After all, doesn’t the Bible talk about planning and vision?
The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps. Proverbs 16:1
There’s SO much out their about goal setting, designing your life, making 2017 the best year yet…………one could go absolutely crazy. I was on the verge of being overwhelmed. I had to STOP!
- Stop reading the emails about goal setting, branding, tips to make the new year better, planning, resolutions vs no resolutions…. (you get the picture).
- Stop subscribing to more emails
- Stop googling newer and better ways of doing the “new year” thing
I don’t want to miss a thing. Now, that’s not completely bad BUT you do have to have boundaries. Which ones do I pick? What’s the best? I was spending way too much time searching for new and not nearly enough time praying about what God wanted me to do.
I can’t be the only one who loves the new year and doesn’t know where to start or stop.
SO, here’s what I did for this year:
I prayed a lot. I evaluated last year and what seemed to work good for me. Planned changes for what didn’t work as well. Here’s what I settled on for me
A NEW PLANNER: The Day Designer has worked well for me and I love it! So, why look and look for another one?
- A NEW JOURNAL: I absolutely LOVE Kikki.K’s 365 Days Journal. I’ve used this particular one for few years but needed to cut some corners (thanks to Dave Ramsey for the financial tips). I found one that would worked for less than half the price at Target. I use this journal for prayers, notes from Bible study, thoughts, feelings…. just about everything. I like it all in one spot, it’s easy to go to one place for those types of things and it’s super easy to travel with.
- A NEW WORD – ONE WORD: I heard a suggestion in 2014 to pick one word for the year and I have been doing it since. Check out the website for Get One Word. My word for this year is REST (as in rest for the soul, not only rest for the body), but previous years have been Discipline (2016), Focus (2015), and Jubilee (2014). Picking One Word for the year helps keep me focused – especially when I’ve taken the time to seek God about the One Word. I find a verse that goes with it the word. This year I spent a little extra time and found 12 verses one for each month
- NEW GOALS, PLANS: This year I’m working through: (1) Business Boutique’s plan (2) Michael Hyatt’s 7 Steps for Taking Control of 2017 and (3) my favorite CHALLENGE from my pastor
Here’s a few things I’ve used in the past:
- Pam Shaw’s Designing Your Life and Living Your Vision (which is awesome)
- Peter Bergman’s 18 minutes helped me organize my day
- Bill Hybles 6X6 Strategy for Leadership
Don’t get overwhelmed with the choices. Pick what works best for you and take on the year.
Let’s do this! Let’s do our part to make it a GREAT YEAR! I’m ready. Are you? Sure, the year will definitely carry both joy and sorrows, mountain tops and valleys but all in all, because of Jesus, it WILL BE GREAT!!
I’d LOVE to read some of the tools you use to prepare for the new year.
Happy Praying!! Happy Planning!! Happy 2017!!